How to Profit from the Art Print Market
addresses critical art print career questions.
Learn the answers to shortcut your path to print market success!
• How can I tell if my art is appropriate for being published?
• What are some reasons not to publish my art?
• What media best suits my art?
• Should I self-publish or seek a publisher? Can I do both?
• Why are negotiation skills helpful and where can I learn more about them?
• Which show is the best for artists to quickly absorb information about the art print business?
Working with a Publisher
• How do I find art print publishers and work with them?
• What is on the publisher’s wish list for a dream artist?
• What percentage do publishers typically pay artists? How is it figured?
• Describe the merits and pitfalls of working with a publisher.
• Who are some of the more successful print artists working with a publisher instead of self-publishing?
• What are the essential ingredients to success in self-publishing?
• Describe the merits and pitfalls of self-publishing.
• Explain the common traits and attributes of successful self-published artists.
• As a self-publisher, answer the crucial question, “What business am I in?”
• What are the three most important tasks of the business I am in?
• By rank of importance, what are the best ways to get my art prints to market?
• How would I describe each method of getting to market and provide insights and advice on utilizing them?
• Who are just a few exemplary self-published artists and what can I learn about what they have done to become successful?
Economics of Self-publishing
• How are posters priced? What kinds of discounts are typical?
• How are giclées priced and what is the standard dealer discount for them?
• How do I conduct a break-even analysis of my business?
• What are some sources for business planning books and software?
• Where can I get free professional advice on business planning and financing?
• What marketing activity pays the best return dollar for dollar and why?
• Where can I participate in a POD (Print On Demand) program with one of the Internet’s top online art vendors at very low cost?
• What is the 3-Step Process for Tradeshow Success?
• What can I do to make sure I get the best spot possible in a tradeshow?
• How do I prepare a thorough checklist for a tradeshow?
• How can I double or triple the number of impressions for my company without increasing my ad budget?
• Explain what it takes besides talent to make an impression on the curator of the Los Angeles County Art Museum and how it relates to print publishing success.
• How do I negotiate a fair rate for my trade advertising?
• Which publications work best for different media, i.e., poster vs. giclee?
• Why is publicity important? What will it do for me and my career?
• How do I incorporate publicity into my marketing plan?
• Where can I get professional help writing and submitting press releases?
• Where can I submit press releases to a broad audience at no charge?
• What is the best way to get publicity from trade publications?
• Where can I find a free program to help me manage my contacts and inventory?
• Where can I get an office productivity suite like Microsoft Office that is open source and free?
• Where do I find the free software that will help me generate “keywords” for my Website?
• What company offers free software to build a “Mission Statement?”
Defending Your Copyrights
• How do I go about protecting and registering my copyrights?
• Why is it important to register my copyrights? What extra protection does it provide?
• Where can I get help to pursue copyright infringement on my work and templates for cease and desist letters to send to violators of my copyrights?
Trends and Inspiration
• Where do I look for ideas on trends?
• What sources are there to help inspire my creativity and help me find a look or theme that will resonate with collectors?
• Who decides what the new colors are that we see in home fashions yearly?
• How can I hone my skills to be able to spot trends?
Websites and Email Marketing for Artists
• Where can I find affordable Website hosting and building services with companies experienced in the art business?
• Where can I find email lists of galleries to promote my art directly?
• Give details on ways to promote my Website such as link exchanges, affiliate programs, pay-per-click programs.
• Are there really Power Selling artists on eBay doing more than $10,000 a month in sales?
• Where can I find out more about licensing?
• What is a typical royalty structure for licensing?
• What shows are there for licensing and which one is better for artists and publishers?
• What trade publications serve the licensing field?
• Will my publisher help me get licensing deals?
• How do licensing deals differ from publishing royalties?
• List all the most important trade and consumer art publications.
• List all the most important tradeshows.
• List the most important associations and organizations for artists and publishers.
• What are some of the better books on art marketing to read?
• All this and much more.